Lynne Scanlon notes that Borders Group has a new CEO, and she wonders what he could do to make Borders and WaldenBooks more attractive than Barnes & Noble. She has many great suggestions:
- Make exclusive arrangements with publishers to sell specific books at Borders and Borders only.
- Create a “new format” book that is sold exclusively at Borders.
- Co-publish books with Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins and medium- and small-sized publishers. Give preferential shelf placement in lieu of a cash investment.
- Have a prestigious VIP cash register and pass out discount coupons to the big spenders, say, at the $150 purchase level.
- Rope off a special VIP room for people who buy books in quantity and make these readers feel important because they are!
- Have “For Authors Only Socials” where local authors meet local authors in Borders to socialize over a glass of wine or something significantly stronger.
- Offer to rent computer space in Borders to struggling writers.
There are more and commenters join in. What do you think?